>> 2.  Users  sometimes try to use IMAP as they use POP. It is completely

>> wrong and it gives bad results.

> Right. However, I've been using IMAP for over a year now and I assure

> you that I no longer use it as I use POP. I still have issues with it.

> Even if all that it can do now works as it should without glitches

> etc., I'd still not be happy because of the POP legacy very slowly

> being relinquished.

For the majority of people who get a few legitimate messages a week,

which they delete after reading/responding, for those who are are just

barely able to figure out how to turn a computer on, pop will remain

the choice of most isps, I suspect.

>> 3.  Personally  I  couldn't  reproduce most of the bugs reported. As a

>> programmer you should know how it is to deduce the reason in the air.

> I don't know the nature of your test environment, but perhaps the

> problem starts there.

A professional grade beta testing operation is a large overhead.  Maybe

that is why RIT relies so heavily on us.

> Mulberry and ThunderBird present themselves in a simpler way. The

> out of the box behaviour just works and they will not do some of the

> things TB! will. They don't need to. A low bandwidth connection

> cannot handle some of those off-line use type options, and yet a

> high bandwidth  connection doesn't need them though they can handle

> them.

I find setting synchronize to "headers only" helps with large folders.

Getting a new list of folder contents is pleasantly fast.  Some other

email clients don't have this figured out nearly so well.  Eudora, for

instance, can take a half hour for the same operation over my high

speed connection.  Having TB default to downloading my 15,000 full

message contents, many with large attachments would make a very

poor impression if I were installing it for the first time.  Pop is for

those who are confused by options and would really rather they went

away.  IMAP is for those of us who need a lot more from email software

and are willing to put in the time it takes to configure it correctly.

Of course it is true, that those for whom pop is right probably don't know

that and sometimes do wander into imap land unawares.  You have to know

who your customers are, and how much you should cater to the low end

of the spectrum at the expense of the high end.  Everybody is not going to be

pleased no matter where you draw your lines.

--

Gleason

Using The Bat! v3.5 Return RC5 on Windows XP 5.1 Build  2600

Service Pack 2  Primarily using the Fastmail

IMAP server which uses Cyrus.

 Current beta is 3.5 Return RC/5 | 'Using TBBETA' information: