Hello Gary,

On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:30:52 -0500 GMT (25/05/2005, 00:30 +0700 GMT),
Gary wrote:

T>> News postings get propagated over the world via various news servers.
T>> That's why the mid needs to be unique.

G> Mids are nothing more than previous message-IDs relating to that email.

True.

G> Since all message-IDs are unique, mids will be unique under any
G> circumstance.

I don't follow.

G> Unique IDs are generated via different algorithms by the client,
G> most likely time stamps.

I think this is ture.

T>> Mailings on mailing lists don't work that way. They are contained within
T>> the ML. Even though they are made readable with newreaders via Gmane
T>> (like this list), they will be contained.

G> Just an observation... many, many ML (by the way the list is setup), not
G> only go back to the list, but also are CC'd to all individuals from the
G> person responding to that email. Why, many lists do not require a
G> subscription, and anyone can post to it. So how can there be any
G> containment?

News postings are sent from one news server to the next. People might
be replying from a message they received from one server or the other.

If people want to reply to a message om a mailing list, they would
need to that list's server only.

T>> I see no reason to be the owner of the domain when posting to an ML, but
T>> it does makes sense when posting to an NG.

G> IMHO, too many variables with lists... Isn't that why we have RFCs? - a set
G> of uniform standards.

True, true. We need to follow the rules. What I am saying is that not
all rules make sense.

G> BTW, many USENET users do use fake domains when posting also,

Not allowed in the de.* part of the usenet. But you may be right in
other parts, I don't know.

G> too much spam generated... However, additional headers are always
G> added by the newsgroup subscriber that you log into to get on
G> USENET, when posting to a newsgroup, which show your IP, or IIRC,
G> (it's been many years since I was on one), the reverse IP address,
G> for tracking purposes. So, like pure email, there is
G> accountability.

Yes, but I am not sure you are contradicting me.

mid = message ID.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor when you can't drink
and drive ?

Message reply created with The Bat! 3.5