Hi *Jay*,

On Thursday, 07 July 2005 at 08:56 AM you (James (Jay) Walker) wrote:

> First of all, the name is "Jay" or, if you like, "jaywalker". Not
> James - never James. That's too British for my current incarnation.

Allright, Avi. :-P

>> I'm feeling the same, the numbering system should be more user-friendly.
>> The question is, if there are really international standards?! No, there
>> aren't, are there?

> If you say so. I really don't know. But I would have imagined that the
> CVS numbering system comes pretty close to being one.

Yes, it comes pretty close to being *one*, but not the only one. ;-)
I must admit, I dislike this numbering system. 3.2 is lower than 3.13? No, not
for me...

>> The only international standard which implies user-friendliness is to
>> have consistency.

> The example of Microsoft Windows comes to mind. And, even though we
> are only talking about some marketed versioning system rather than the
> internal system, my concern is ultimately with what the users see,
> i.e. the marketed versioning.

I'm sure I didn't get this paragraph right, but when you speak abut Windows
and marketing versioning, I think of some "aliases" as Win XP stands for
NT5.1
TB! has never had anything like that, so numbering would also be consistent if
they drop a v4.00 after v3.74.
I just feel Rit should know whether they use two or three dots, use a, b or rc
to categorize alpha, beta and release candidates, use names as "Pre-Beta",
"Pre-Release" or something curious like "Return", "Rush" or "Pranayama".

>> But the system should proof that each TB! user could determine which
>> version is the newest and why it's like that.

> Right. And also what follows on a beta series (as Alexander rightly
> mentioned).

Yep, that's what I think too.

>> Now I've had the time of my life.... No I never felt like this before.
>
> Oh my! That PMS is more contagious than I ever imagined.

;-)

--
Manuel, http://www.manuel-breitfeld.de

 Current beta is 3.51 | 'Using TBBETA' information: