I don't know about others, but when 3.51 rolled up I thought that RL
was just polishing a release to replace the faulty one on their
Website - the one that somehow eliminated BayesIt. I had no idea that
instead of this ostensible objective RL was going to use me as an
alpha tester for a feature or enhancement that would distort the
content of messages that I transmit.

Yes, I am a voluntary beta tester, and I know it is risky. I also know
that RL cannot be expected to define precisely each and every possible
risk. But does that mean that RL should not give me any warning
regarding changes in direction of testing and harmful events that are
likely to occur? I think not. And, as a beta tester, am I also obliged
to test new features that are only at an alpha level of development?
Again, I think not.

So I have a fundamental concern here. I believe that the July 6
announcement of 3.51 on this forum (see below) was entirely
misleading. This announcement goes beyond carelessness and
irresponsibility. I hesitate to use terms like criminal neglect, but I
believe a case could be made in such a direction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello Tbbeta,

Please download 3.51 which is a replacement of 3.5.xx.

It fixes charset issues of the latest 3.5.xx

 http://www.ritlabs.com/download/the_bat/beta/thebat_pro_3-51.msi
 http://www.ritlabs.com/download/the_bat/beta/thebat_home_3-51.msi

If these MSIs would be OK, we will update the download page at the
website and proceed to other fixes.

Maxim Masiutin                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many times and many people have asked RL for a roadmap. We never seem
to get that roadmap - at least not in advance of any journey.

Many times and many people have asked RL to distinguish between alpha
testing and beta testing, in particular to do more and better in-house
testing before distributing a so-called "beta" release to this
community. Nothing said on this forum seems to have any lasting
impact.

Many times and many people have complained about broken promises in
respect to development of features and direction of testing. It all
seems to be like water off a duck's back.

Before I continue testing RL products, not to speak of buying RL
products, I want to know whether RL has any ethics, any moral
scruples, that take precedence over the acquisition of euros.

--
jaywalker
Windows XP Pro SP2 and The Bat! Pro (No OTFE) 3.5.36