On Wednesday, August 24, 2005, at 04:17 PM, Stuart Cuddy
wrote:

> OK, new theory. I had turned off synchronization completely and
> everything seemed to run a bit more smoothly. Only problem was every
> time I clicked on a message it had to be downloaded before I could
> read it. Even with high speed this slowed things down.

That much? I find the performance hit using synchronisation is
greater. Here, loading a message body typically takes about 1 second
if that much. The larger bodies (HTML etc.) take under 5 seconds or
rarely go above that.

> I have been reading Guru Curtis (alias Allie) about how he filters
> everything out of his inbox to avoid problems with the constant
> changes in the inbox. Also noted that he does server side filtering.

Gary doesn't filter all messages from his Inbox and his major problems
have disappeared. My not keeping messages in the Inbox is a personal
habit of mine taken from POP. The side-effect was that the IMAP
problems while working with a busy Inbox didn't affect me. Anyway, the
point is now moot since that issue seems to have been laid to rest..
finally. :)

> Well being the rogue that I are, (and the fact that I am testing) I
> decided I would have everything filter to my TB folder as well as do
> some color grouping, but only using TB's filtering features.

Does colour grouping really work? Is it saved server side so that you
can appreciate it across multiple TB! installations?

> With this setup and synchronization set for all folders everything was
> bogging down.

I can well imagine.

> My theory here is that it would sync to my inbox then color change
> and move and then unsync from my inbox and then sync with my TB
> folder. All these steps were slowing things down.

Another way your filters can bog down TB! is if you're searching for
strings in the message body. So TB! will filter only when the message
bodies are retrieved.

> My new setting, is to only sync All Messages in TB folder and things
> are much faster now as my messages do not have to sync with the Inbox
> along the way. Any validity to this theory or is it completely out to
> lunch?

I think you're right on this. The less folders you set to sync at
intervals, the better the overall performance.

--
-= Curtis=-
Using TB! v3.60.02 Forerunner (Beta)

 Current beta is 3.60.03 forerunner | 'Using TBBETA' information: