Thursday, August 23, 2007, 9:55:24 AM, you wrote:

> Hello Indie_Dev,

*snip*

> Very well said. However with the following lines it seems that we are moving
> to a dangerous ground:

>> I'll mention it on my blog, it will get read - millions
>> and millions of times. Then everyone even thinking of switching email
>> programs will then get to decide (after reading my documentation of the
>> anomaly) if they want an email program, in this case TB!, manggling their
>> email and screwing up their otherwise perfectly normal views. My guess

> Don't get me wrong but the above looks suspiciously like blackmail. And *this*
> will certainly NOT help The Bat!. Of course it's your opinion and well in your
> rights to publish however this is *YOUR* blog. Unless you allow RITLABS a
> formal answer it seems more than revenge/blackmail because The Bat! doesn't
> work the way that you want it and you are bashing it because of that.

Yes, I see how that can be misconstrued, but blackmail (a rather
strong term) it is not.

The point is, if I don't like something or I have an issue with it, I
have the right to say so. On my blog, I write about a range of issues,
from Microsoft's borking of Vista and then trying to use the video
gaming community to spearhead its adoption, hence making DX10
exclusive to it, to Google complying with communist China's demands
about access to their search portal. Nobody accused me of blackmail!!

In fact, there are hundreds of Internet wide post about email
programs, including the Bat! Most of those posts, reviews etc are
about shortcomings, failures, security holes etc in them.

> In my previous mail I wrote that I found your points valid but there are also
> counter points that are also valid! From The Bat's! behalf, the mail is
> RECEIVED as long as it got into its database. Technically this is correct.

Anything can be construed as being 'technically' correct. However, in
this case, the TB! has _no_ business confusing and obfuscating the
premise and function of the 'received' date as it pertains to emails.
If they want to use a received date for when it enters their dB, they
can, but it could in a X- header setting (like other email programs
and exporters) or in a settings file. To take that information and
make it part of the GUI, thus sparking this issue, is wrong.

> Personally I'm with you on this one. No matter how you put it, Imported
> e-mails *ARE NOT* received e-mails. I define "received" e-mails to be the
> e-mails I downloaded from server and NOT the e-mails I import from another
> storage. Obviously The Bat Devs have another definition.

Exactly.

> The real world analogue is very simple. Consider that I kept my mails (the
> real mails) in a box. One day I bought another box, bigger and more shiny. So
> I move the mails from the old box to the new box. But the mails are already
> there, they are *NOT* received again! The postman didn't live them to my PO
> Box! I merely changed the physical location where I put them!

aha!! Thats even better than my analogy!! Good job!!

Another way to put it is that if you already sorted your emails in the old box
by ascending date, then you ask your brother to move them into the new
box as-is. Then you go and look in the new box and see that he has put
them in a descending order by date because to him, the new box means
that you got them all 'today'.

> But as I wrote to my previous e-mail, this is a matter of taste.

...or functionality

--
cheers,
 Indie_Dev