Hello again,

On Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 10:16:38 PM Peter [PP] (me) wrote:

[...]
PP> UTF-8 is an *ENCODING* of these characters. In short: UTF-8 says which
PP> position in the Unicode-table the character is at. UTF-8 uses 8 bit
PP> for standard ISO-8859 characters and 16 bit for "special" characters
PP> (like e.g. German umlauts).

I have to correct myself: UTF-8 uses *more than* 8 bit for several
classes of characters, 16 for "Latin letters with diacritics", 24 for
"the rest of the Basic Multilingual Plane (which contains virtually
all characters in common use)" and 32 for "characters in the other
planes of Unicode, which are rarely used in practice."
Source: <url:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8>

The rest still holds true, so UTF-8 ain't "bad" :-) IMHO it's "good",
because it allows to break through this kind of "Babylonian" language
and character table chaos as all relevant characters can be held in
one table and therefore identified unambiguously.
No more guessing: "Is this an 'ä' or 'æ' the author wanted to be
displayed? Do I have to change the charset table to get the correct
result shown?"

Sure: for e-mail there is a method to declare the used character set,
but not for text files ... And if used commonly for text products,
why stick with an old system for e-mail? :-) So: let's switch and
show the world: we're not dinosaurs, we use not only a modern MUA,
but also see the advantages of a modern character encoding system ;-)
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther

(The Bat! v4.0.18.6 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2)

A Stoic brings the baby; a Cynic is where you bathe it.