tboot runs a mini-guest on each CPU that it sees. If your kernel sees fewer
CPUs (because of NR_CPUS or maxcpus), it will only send IPIs to the CPUs it
sees, thereby kicking them out of the mini-guest. The remaining CPUs will
spin busy-waiting in the mini-guest. If you have hyperthreading enabled
this can mean you have a mini-guest  running on a "hyper-twin".

Note: this assumes you're NOT using monitor/mwait to wake up APs by setting
ap_wake_mwait to true at the tboot command line.