On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 11:37 +0100, Lukasz Hawrylko wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-12-04 at 14:33 +0000, Paul Moore (pmoore2) wrote:
> > Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "the root of
> > certificate"?  Alternatively, could you upload the kernel and
> > signing
> > certificate somewhere I could grab so I can play with it?
>
> Maybe I used wrong words, I am talking about pkcs1_search_signer
> function and following lines:
>
>   if (!asn1_blob_cmp(&entry->cert.serial, serial) &&
>       !asn1_blob_cmp(&entry->cert.ca->subject, subject))
>
> If I change them to
>
>   if (!asn1_blob_cmp(&entry->cert.serial, serial) &&
>       !asn1_blob_cmp(&entry->cert.subject, subject))
>
> it will find my certificate.

Thanks, that makes it much more clear.  One of the benefits of sharing
code is that it helps remove any uncertainties. :)

> Could you please explain me why are you
> using serial from root of entry and subject from sub-element? Is it
> connected with certificate chain? What if there is just the simplest
> possible certificate that is not signed by anybody?

That does look a little odd, doesn't it?  It's likely left over from a
rework of the code during development that wasn't caught because of 1)
it worked on my Fedora based test cases, and 2) I haven't really gone
over all of the code yet to make sure it is "sane" ;)

I know I've said this before, but please consider all of this code still
a very rough prototype.  Normally I wouldn't share code of this quality,
but since there are a large number of uncertainties surrounding this
work (e.g. is this approach reasonable?  are the policy changes okay?
etc.) I felt the advantages of sharing this code at such an early stage
outweighed the risks.

> I have uploaded certificate and key that I have generated here:
> https://cloud.hawrylko.pl/s/ivHd7HZpuLIjQ88 there is also a signed
> bzImage that I am using.

Great, thank you.  I'll take a closer look.