On Fri, 2019-12-20 at 10:51 +0100, Lukasz Hawrylko wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-12-17 at 20:12 +0000, Paul Moore (pmoore2) wrote:
> > > >

> > > In "stock" TBOOT, VLP loaded from its own index has higher
> > > priority
> > > over
> > > one embedded in LCP, so I agree with you that here it should work
> > > like
> > > that.
> >
> > I was thinking about this some more and I'm now wondering if we
> > should
> > only support the new TB_HTYPE_PECOFF hash type if it is present in a
> > VLP
> > loaded from the LCP.  In order to use the new signature support
> > admins
> > are going to need to generate a new LCP to contain the certificate
> > payload, why not store the VLP in the LCP at that point?
>
> To be honest I don't like to add any kind of limitation when it is not
> needed. I think that in first approach we should allow to use any of
> possible configurations. If admins prefer to delete VLP index in TPM
> and
> put everything in LCP, they will do it, if, for any reasons, they want
> to keep VLP under its own index and put only certificate in LCP - why
> not, we support that case too :)

Okay, that's fine.  FWIW, it seems to me as if keeping the VLP in it's
own nvindex is a bit of a legacy solution, especially when we consider
the PECOFF signature validation.  In the PECOFF case you *must* have a
LCP to carry the certificates.  Not to mention the benefits of a signed
LCP allowing you to update the policy without updating the values stored
in the TPM nvindex (assuming the same policy signing key).

> > Is there any advantage to storing the VLP directly in the TPM and
> > not in
> > the LCP?
> >
> > -Paul
> >

> That's a good question. I don't know if customers prefer to use VLP in
> LCP or directly, I will talk with our application engineers about
> that.

Thanks.

-Paul