Well I fixed it.

Here's what I did.  I'd like to add the disclaimer that it worked for me,
and it may or may not work for you.  But at any rate, this action seems
fairly harmless but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

What I did was go into the folder (using Windows Explorer) of the POP
account and delete all of the files except account.cfg.  The files I
deleted were account.flx, account.m_d, account.m_r, and account.log.

The reason why I did this was I was thinking there was some corruption and
just took a gamble on deleting them.  I peeked at them and they "seemed"
harmless to remove.  I could tell they were files relating to GUI settings,
like column widths, etc.  I was willing to reconfigure other stuff as long
as I could recover my folders and messages inside of them.  It paid off.

Just so you know, I did have to completely reconfigure my _other_ POP
account, which seemed really weird to me since I didn't touch any of that
stuff.

-MikeD