Norbert Luckhardt wrote:

> IMHO you're both right! anything w/o his coder's REM is probably seen
> in the public domain and thus often not credited to the original
> author

That wasn't the point.  I did not write to gain credit for myself.  The trend that is
bothering
me is that people are posting work which is not theirs as though it was theirs.  Most
of the
time, many people contribute to a template system either by modifying the templates or
by
testing the templates.  It would be almost impossible to give credit to everyone.
However, when
reposting a macro/template, it should be made clear that this was public domain work,
and not
the poster's original work.

> is good for finding sth. in an archive, but far too bulky to have a
> chance of remaining in any of my templates (not intended as offence
> against Januk! it simply was the first example I had at hand)

I agree, and that's why I never put any of those in.  I fully expect any person who
wants the
macro is going to modify it to better suit their needs.  Most of the time, these
modifications
are minor, but people should feel free to play with them.  By adding the credit
line/paragraph,
I feel that people will be less inclided to make the desired changes.  That again is
not my
intention.  I put that comment into the example you quoted simply to show that it is
not a
reasonable solution overall.

> such one-liners could easily be maintained in derived sets:

Perhaps, but then everyone has to decide if their one-character change is sufficient
to warrant
another credit line.  I personally much prefer to leave the system as it was, but just
have
posters aware of basic courtesy.

Finally, I'll say this again, Brano's post was by no means the worst example that I've
seen.  In
fact his was pretty innocent.  However, it was easy for me to recognize the history of
that
particular template system, so I commented.

--
Thanks,
Januk Aggarwal