  Date: Thursday, Jul 18, 2002
  Subject: MyRealBox Outage

  Dear MyRealBox User,

  MyRealBox has been in production since October of 1999. This means
  some of our servers have been in production for close to three
  years. Over this period of time we have found our hardware to be
  very reliable, however there comes a time when older technology
  should be replaced with newer technology. We will therefore take
  the weekend of July 27 and 28 to upgrade our servers with newer
  and faster hardware.

This implies that it will be a while before myrealbox.com will not
be down again for as long as it was (which was NOT the 10 hour time
frame mentioned below), because myrealbox is generally a very
reliable service (which I also use for sending mail from other
accounts), if you can get by w/ 5 mb and live with the clunky domain
name.

  Please do not expect to be able to login to your account during
  the weekend of July 27 and 28. While we do not expect the downtime
  to be more than 10 hours, it is safe to assume there will be
  additional service interruption during this upgrade period.

  You will not lose any messages. Any message sent to your account
  during this outage will be delivered to your account.

OK, they lied. Luckily (for me), all I get there is TB! lists
(except for GDUTB) and the NYTimes headlines.

Gary Lucas' suggestion:
  "It seems like it would be better to use a criteria like "bounces
  on three separate days" without a reset, rather than on a strict
  15 bounce count."
seems good to me.

A "20 bounce limit, and 3-days reset" would not have lasted the
weekend, except for those subscribing to the TBUDL-Digest (if there
is one). Obviously, when a server is down, the number of bounces is
directly related to the number of messages sent.

A three day / unlimited or high number of bounces would have avoided
the hassle us mrb users had this time time around, and almost any of
the free-email servers can go down for a day or two.

I've got 50mb of space on two prodigy.net.mx accounts that no longer
work w/ dutaint. I just sent you a test message from one of them,
which went through OK on this end, and that's how I used to be
subscribed. I just got the "Sorry, your e-mail address
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is not listed as a Member or Moderator of this
List" reply, so it looks like that is another option.

In any case, let us know what you decide.

Douglas