Hello Alexander

> That's why here we are using "Transliteration" whenever we're
> sending something in Russian to a receipient who has no
> Russian fonts available:-) This is a one-to-one translation of
> Russian letters to the (sequences) of Latin characters. My own
> full name will then become:

> (in Volapyuk): Aleksandr Va`c`eslavovic` Kiselev
> (in proper Translit): Aleksandr Wq^eslawowi^ Kiselew

There you see one problem of transliterations: you get one for each
target language. If I know e.g. the german transliteration of a name
(say 'Jelzin') and then want to search the internet (with mostly english
pages), I have to guess the english transliteration (how would you
spell a word in english that sounds like Jelzin in german, perhaps
'Yeltsin'?). And in French it is 'Eltsine' IIRC... (and remember, it's
just an example, i don't want to get into politics)

> Don't know Esperanto, but think you're wrong here:-) the first
> "a" above should sound similar to German "Ja" (that is, as it's
> common in many Latin-based languages, should be written as
> two-dotted "a").

I think you're not correct here. The first 'a' (written as a mirrored
capital 'R'?) sounds like "ja", but the german 'ä' (ä in HTML) is
pronounced like somewhere in between the vowels in 'flat' and 'let'.

Perhaps we should use the phonetic alphabet of the IPA (international
phonetic association), Unicode characters 0x0250..0x02af, but then i
know just know one font, Lucida Sans Unicode, having these, and where
is a mail client supporting UTF8...?

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Schtill! Was ziberlet dert näbem Tobelöhli

.