Monday, October 18, 1999

Hello Thomas,

Sunday, Sunday, October 17, 1999, you wrote:

Thomas> Hallo tracer,

Thomas> On Sunday, October 17, 1999, 10:15:12 AM, tracer wrote:

Alexander>>> Don't know Esperanto, but think you're wrong here:-) the first
Alexander>>> "a" above should sound similar to German "Ja" (that is, as it's
Alexander>>> common in many Latin-based languages, should be written as
Alexander>>> two-dotted "a"). What for the second "a" above, it's pronounced
Alexander>>> exactly as the English letter "R" is called, that is, "AR":-) So
Alexander>>> either Esperanto is not so fonetic you think it is or you haven't
Alexander>>> got the proper pronunciation:-))

t>> Try Arabic, you can spell almost any sound in it...
t>> I donot speak it but its an extreemly flexible way to make any sound
t>> even if you still cannot read the result (g) and I remember for my
t>> workpermit I needed about 10 minutes before my Dutch name was properly
t>> translated so it sounded the same...

Thomas> Arabic is 100% phonetic, we used to write dictations and hand't ever
Thomas> heard the words before... 26 letters, plus three "short vowels" (often
Thomas> not written except in classic texts), plus one stop-voice-marker
Thomas> (hamza). Problem is, they have only three vowels: a, i, o (pronounce
Thomas> these the German way), no P (except in the Urdu version) and so on.

Thomas> Every script has drawbacks when you want to use it for another
Thomas> language. ;-)

I know but here in Thailand it must be about the only place where they
try to make a language which is quite irregular when it comes to the
way things are written/pronounced, regular... problem is for instance
Than, Tani, Tanee and whatever being used for the same thing.
Or Thanon, tanon  whatever for street. The good thing is that Thai
postal office employees are masters in recognising screwed up
addresses...

Anyway, drop me pls that suitable Thai font you said you had.
Its a non proportional TT font correct??