Hi Steve,

on Saturday, November 20, 1999, 8:37:02 AM GMT+0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

SL>     MUA stands for Mail Use Agent or Messaging User Agent.  MTA is for Mail
SL> Transfer agent.  There is a third, MDA, which stands for Mail Delivery Agent.

[very good explanation skipped}

For all those who have put Steve on the kill filter, please note that
you've missed something very educational.

SL>     A lot of people have argued that an editor and a spell checker (for
SL> example) are required in producing mail and thus should be reimplemented by
SL> the authors of each individual email client.  A lot of other people argue that
SL> separate tasks should be handled by separate programs.  So how do I reconcile
SL> the need to combine some tasks (MUA/MTA/MDA) but not others (editor/spell
SL> checker) into an email client?

FYI rumours have it that the well-advertised Version 2 will have an
option "use external editor". I think you will agree with me that
this would make everybody happy.

Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.38 Beta/1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.