Saturday, November 20, 1999, 7:08:41 AM, Alexander wrote:
> Nope, PMMail will work with English only (well, actually I don't
> know, but it *definitely* won't work with Russian, it's got
> defective code that won't accept anything then western unicode
> script correctly, and for Russian one needs cyrillic).

    But PMMail allows you to use an external editor and the external editor,
say, vim, for example, would let you pick what spell checker to use.

> My point was: HOW? The answer to this "how?" needs to tell:
> (a) what protocol should be used;

    "Send to the editor with a string to tell it where the file is" normally
works.  Has for the past 20-30 years on Unix at least.  ;)

> (b) how many third-party apps will be supported by it;

    The above?  100%

> (c) what functionality will this protocol provide.

    Functionality which lets you use pretty much anything there since data is
data.

> My own point is that DDE would almost fit, but it isn't supported
> by the majority of software vendors.

    Meanwhile the file system is support by 100%.  :)

> Alt-F1, login, mutt;
> Alt-F2, login, mutt;
> in the mutt#1 open one IMAP account, in the mutt#2 open
> another. What else do you want?

    That is two copies of mutt.  Would you be as happy with TB! if you had to
open a separate copy of it for each account that you had?  I know I wouldn't.

> Or are you speaking about the "identities" actually?

    No.  I can't stand that paradigm that Eudora has imposed upon the masses.
Just to keep everything separated out one needs to build filters up the wazoo.
:(

> Yup, that was my point also. But that would require Perl.
> Although there exists Perl for dosish systems, it lacks in power
> considerably compared to how it can be used on Linux box.

    Not really.  That is only because DOS lacks the standard unix utils that
some perl programmers have come to rely upon.  Personally I program as much
in perl as I can, leaving the system() and exec() calls only for things I
really need.  Generally those are other scripts we have written, not the
standard utils.

> Just because the winDOS is organized this way, and you can
> do little or nothing about it.

    Again, I disagree.