Hello Ali & all fellow TBUDL members,

Thursday, November 25, 1999, 7:54:22 PM, Ali wrote in response to my
saying more or less:

>> In any case, I see a need for activating a given filter without
>> having to activate all filters for a given folder at once, as seems
>> to be the case at present.

AM> I don't see how you could avoid doing this manually, i.e., going
AM> through the filters and making them manual only or neither active nor
AM> manual only, as you need to.

Thanks Ali. This comment raises the question of *what* is a neither
"manual only" nor "active filter"? Simply a third option, or rather,
an option in the non-active category to distinguish it from manual
only filter?

If so, this suggests that only two options are available for
non-active filters, coded as "manual only" and neither "manual only"
nor "active".

This leads me to conclude that the programming focus for manual (on
demand, user controlled) filtering should be shifted to the filter
instead of the folder, with an activate "all filters" option for those
who want it done as it is presently.

Activating filters selectively on demand may not be much different
than selecting manually for column (and I'm told the option of
inserting an "account" column may be offered in v. 2) or manually
doing a search using a given set of criteria and then moving the files
(which is what I have to do now). It *would* be faster though. And how
to deal with parked items would have to be dealt with separately - a
separate rule could be invoked.

Best regards,
 Douglas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]