MaXxX,

On Wednesday, December 15, 1999, at 4:50 you wrote:
M> C'mon, English has only a few words that form compound expressions
M> - f**k, s**t, and a few anatomy-related ones. Polish, in turn, has
M> MANY words. A simple "f**k off" can be translated in... let me
M> count... five different ways. Shall we exchange experience, then?
M> :DD

Ok, we've had this discussion on TBBETA, and here is the results from
that.

<soapbox>
Because the subscriber base of TBUDL and TBBETA is so diverse
demographically, I made it a rule when I started these two UDLs that
profanity is not allowed. Personally, I could care less, but my
personal preferences aren't representative of the entire list. I've
now included in the rule that acronyms and wildcarded profanity is
also prohibited. Why?

s**t! Is there any doubt in anyones mind of what the preceding word
means? It doesn't matter that two letters are wildcarded as the
meaning is still the same.

I realize that you can't please everyone, but we have to do the best
we can with what we've got. A similar discussion ensued quite a while
back, over the use of derogatory or demeaning taglines. More
specifically they concerned the use of taglines offensive to the
female list members. Again, this is also "against the rules".

The best way to make the determination is to think "Would I say this
to my mother?" Granted, some of your mothers may be a little more
liberal than mine, but if the text is questionable, then don't include
it. </soapbox>

Thanks.

A blood alcohol level of > .26 confers temporary immortality.

Leif Gregory

--
TBUDL/TBBT List Moderator
ICQ 216395 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Using The Bat! 1.38e under Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium 266 with 64MB.