Monday, December 27, 1999, 8:45:59 AM, Syafril wrote:
> Question  :  Mail Client is Compute Bound or I/O bound from your point
> of view ?

    Neither.  Mind you I ran a Fido BBS when I was 16 on a 386sx-16, 2Mb RAM
and a 40MBb IDE drive.  Nothing like tossing a few thousand messages a day
from Fido, a few thousand a day from usenet and handling the email for a few
hundred users.  I seriously doubt anyone in here can top the requirements of a
BBS in the high time of BBSing.  That machine wasn't eithe IO or CPU bound so
neither is anyone's machine when it comes to email.

    CPU/IO bound is someone trying to keep up a full newsfeed with
cross-propagation the end result of which is a single machine processing news
that fills a full T1 24/7.  Only then (or more extreme cases) will I consider
something bound by CPU/IO or other such factors.

    -- Steve, smacking his gums and wishing the whipper-snappers would all go
away.