Hello all,

I am more than surprised by most of your negative comments. Especially
about the "effective" 'very,very,very,bad' critique - and that cheap
'I'm gone' - great, guys! :-(( That's pretty easy! Any chance for a more
differenciated comment..??
>From what I know about RITLABS software engineering I will and can expect
a stable, high quality, exceptional piece of work. There are a few
flaws, but the best software always will have flaws and it might still
be one of the best.
I was very astonished by the amount of options that will be improved
and added. If this is done properly, TheBat! will really kick some
butts, esp. Pegasus and AK-Mail!

LG> Yes, we hope it will be much faster, especially on very large
LG> message bases.
Even this one point is worth it all! I do not quite get you,
Steve, when you say [newsreader] "All I see this is leading heavily
into code bloat," - some things might be *a little bit* unstable or
larger, but RITLABS give me a pretty good feeling about that:

(1) LG> Yes. Also, large address books will not require much memory.
(2) LG> I expect it as extra 20-30K of code :-)  [newsreader]
(3) LG> Well, I hope that it will be smaller than v1.xx executable, but I
    (no predictions, but at least a gooooood estimation!)

Tell me, why do you expect TheBat! to be so unstable and bloated, then?

George, "One  of  my  part-time  jobs  was  the  news  administrating,  here in
university of Crete" -- don't get me wrong, but: that sure does not make you a
__END-CUSTOMER-NEEDS__-news pro!!
BTW, if I had one sick (and even 100 sick) watermellons in my armpit,
I would even try at least to paint one single good, tasty watermellon,
when you write "More  than  one watermellons doesn't seat in one
armpit"!! If RITLABS' browser simply supports simple HTML 4 standard,
it will leave some others behind. Navigator or Opera do not even
support HTML 4 correctly!
Steve wrote "I'd rather RITLABS would do one thing and do it well than do a dozen
things poorly." -- I'd rather RITLABS would do a dozen things well
;-))
Later [news]:"especially with the ominous reference to "ideology." I
think RITlabs used the right expression here. As you see in one or two
ideology: news and mails are "somewhat the same". I think we all
can agree, that a good newsreader with database and xyz-features is more
powerful to what TheBat! will be - at least for v.2.0.  But more and
more (newbie) people don't want to "power-news-read/write" - they see
mails and news as (the same..?) ways to exchange ideas. That's the
ideology. What I think when I read George's comment
"Newsreading is a VERY VERY different thing than mailreading. Other headers, other
protocols, other specifications, other rfcs etc etc."
you almost proved RITs statement: the ideology of READING seems to be
the same! Techniques!
Steve: "This speaks very badly for TB! production [...] Why they share
common technical specifications and appear, on the surface, to also
share a lot in how they are processed it simply is not the
case."

I don't get it...yes, the technics is not unimportant, but hey ---
This is A+ software engineering! We're trying to model communication
here!!

LG> Yes, but I must say that PGP messages will be handled in a completely
LG> different way :-)

?-)

S/MIME is needed and will be a valuable feature; threading by
references-only, too. Script-language plug-in, 'everything will be
script driven [..] it will be possible to do anything' -- WHOOOAAH!!!

Mark and Ralf, I fully agree with you...

--
With best regards,
 Claudius Regn                     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! 1.38e under Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998