Tuesday, January 11, 2000, 9:51:07 AM, Thomas wrote:
> Suppose I reply to a message (like just now), I will still need the send/put
> in outbox/etc buttons. I will also still want the header information being
> transferred and editable.

    I'm not sure about the headers.  The upside is that it helps for quick
edits.  The downside is that the addressbook and other options aren't
accessable.  Unix people understand this difference, Windows people would be
demanding it.  Same with the buttons.

> The "main subwindow" of the editor would be replaced by that editor. TB will
> open an instance of it. Of course, I will have less screen space, but what
> the heck, I just love that editor's features so much (presumably).

    PMMail just reduces the edit window to the controls and header
information.  When it goes to the external editor the editor opens in its own
window.  Perfectly acceptable.

> The messages will be stored just the same way as now, the external editor
> would also not double as a viewer.

    Exactly.

> I can also imagine that data be transferred from TB to the external editor
> unpon opening the instance, so the usage of macros (and RegExp's) will still
> be there.

    Of course, TB! does all the preprocessing it does now with its editor, it
just passes it to an external editor instead of the internal one.

> OTOH, if I do want to use TB's editor, I leave the configuration item
> "Use external editor" unchecked.

> How's this idea?

    Mostly how PMMail does it.  I'd personally prefer no editor but would
accept an internal editor with a policy that states that the core of
programming will be on the core application and that if people want more
functionality from the editor, they will be directed to the external editor
dialog and encouraged to install a more powerful editor for their own uses.
This policy is similar to what the Pine development team has done with Pico.
Pico is usable, but they aren't out to compete with vim/jed/emacs development.
If people want a more robust editor, they can go external.