MDP> (it's only one additional keystroke after all.

Umm, it's 50% more typing.  See, the problem doesn't manifest itself
'til you're actually trying to use the software in a real fashion, and
you don't want to fight with the interface.

AVK>>> Please, don't do this! Maybe as an option only;-) It's the thing
AVK>>> I like *most* in TB's editor, morethenthat, I use *only* the
AVK>>> editors that support this...

MDP> Agreed, completely.

Well, you two aren't typical Windows users.  As it goes, virtual space
has some people who like it and others who don't.

That said, if I could map the BRIEF keys to operations, I wouldn't
mind it 'cause that's what I'm used to when programming.  However, the
abortion known as the Borland keymap mixed with CUA really doesn't
help me use virtual space.

GCS>> Well, It *ought* to be an option, if for no other reason than
GCS>> there are so many other popular apps that function in exactly
GCS>> that way.

MDP> <grumble><mumble>  Might  I  humbly  suggest  you  use TB as an e-mail
MDP> client a while longer.

Why, so these feelings get reinforced?  Seriously, the reason I don't
like virtual space have nothing to do with the fact that I'm not used
to it.  They have EVERYTHING to do with the fact that I use it and I
don't like it and I remember the days when I was programming with
emacs and I still feel that emacs 19 is the most powerful editor that
I've ever used.  See, I don't mind using the keyboard.  I HATE being
required to use the mouse.

MDP> The editor is one thing that suddenly leaps out as being very
MDP> well suited to the job it does for the /type of information/ it
MDP> works on.

No better suited than an editor without virtual space.  I mean
seriously, any text editor probably does a fine job at editing text
files.  However, to have the broadest appeal you have to appeal to the
broadest market.

MDP> IMHO "Many other popular apps" do not have to work on
MDP> semi-formatted plain text in anything like the same way.

In my memory, emacs does a fine job, is more configurable, and has
more features.

MDP> Just a suggestion. We all know that the simple of addition of a
MDP> new "option" switch means a whole plethora of underlying
MDP> conditional coding to subvert the editor from its' designed
MDP> purpose and we all loath the "B" work ... say it with me: "Don't
MDP> bloat The Bat!". :-)

Hmm, glad that's your opinion because any intelligent programmer
wouldn't have set the system up to require a plethora of underlying
conditional coding to subvert the editor.

IOW, a checkbox sets "bAllowVirtualSpace" to "TRUE."  Then, the up and
down keypresses, along with the mouse clicks to move the cursor, need
to check this.  That's THREE checks, that's THREE additional lines of
code, plus block demarkation (in Delphi's case it's begin/end as I
recall).  Actually, use the same logic that's there, but at the end of
these four operations, check this variable, and if it's false, pretend
the <End> key was also hit.  There's the tough logic, that's six
lines of additional code.  Total.  That's it, the poor-man's EOL
follower in place, and that is NOT what is commonly known as "bloat."

I, again, prefer the way emacs does it, but we all can't be so
powerful, can we?

To cross the beams, this is one reason why an external editor would be
so great; I could use one that does what I want it to do.

-tom!

--
Hopin' this said *something* useful, [EMAIL PROTECTED] out.