Friday, January 21, 2000, 1:49:45 PM, Douglas wrote:
> While most respond to sender when typing Ctrl+F5, ALL responded to
> sender using Ctrl+F4. Therefore, I would say that all lists are not
> the same and that Marck was correct in recommending the use of Ctrl+F4
> when replying to sender only.

    You missed the point.  He was saying that combining the from name with the
reply-to address was good on this list because when you reply you're generally
replying to the individual.  I challenged by pointing out that on other lists
you're generally replying to the individual as well.  We're not talking in the
technical sense, we're talking as in "speaking" to the individual like I am
doing to you right no.

> Would you mind defining munging?

    Mangling, destryoing, changing without just technical cause or reason to
something unexpected and damaging.

> If I understand you correctly, I would say that TBs templates rely on
> the "Steve Lamb" in the Steve Lamb <TBUDL etc to produce "Hello Steve
> & all fellow" etc or whatever I want it to say. This is a consistent
> approach and consistency is valuable, when shared by the user.

   In the template that is fine.  In the header field it is not.

> Now I see your point - you do that on purpose, as is your choice.

    No, I do not do it.  TBUDL sets the reply to back to the list without
setting a name for that reply-to.  TB!, incorrectly, takes the name from the
FROM field and combines it with the address from the REPLY-TO field.  I had no
choice in that matter.

> You want to be asked whether your name should be used when replying to
> you?

    No, it should not combine my name with an address not associated with me.

> This is why different ways of doing things exists - different strokes for
> different folks.

    Wrong.  There are some things you don't do.  Hey everybody, I want to
drive on the other side of the street.  I can, different strokes for different
folks.  Nevermind that it breaks how the system works!