Hello, Bat users,

  Using The Bat! in conjunction with a program called NJWin (also
  known as NJStar CJK), I am now able to use the program acceptably
  with Japanese. I can read Japanese messages in both the preview and
  popup windows, can read most subject lines and other header
  information, and can compose and send Japanese messages. I have
  defined a new Japanese encoding for ISO-2022-JP, and have managed to
  get that information into the charset header of my messages.

  The only thing I noticed along the way is that the %charset=" "
  macro when inserted in a message does not successfully override the
  charset header. Also, my messages are identified as 8 bit even
  though iso-2022-jp is a 7-bit scheme.

  I'm now happy to be using The Bat! full time. The more I get to know
  this program, the happier I am with it. I have a few small issues
  I'd like to see improved (e.g., the old user-defined key assignments
  thing that is supposedly coming in Ver. 2 within most of our
  lifetimes, and one-key viewing across folders in preview mode), but
  in so many ways this program blows away the competition.

  I look forward, still, to the day when The Bat! has real built-in
  Japanese support, since NJWin when active interferes with some other
  programs that I need to use in my work, requiring that it be
  switched in and out frequently.

--
Yours,
 John De Hoog, Tokyo