On Thursday, February 03, 2000, Allie Martin wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:37:48 +0900, John De Hoog wrote:

>> Yes, and if we were using Forte Agent or Datula we could mark the
>> thread as Ignore ... Given that digressive or uninteresting threads
>> are an inevitable part of any mailing list, don't you think this
>> would be a good feature to add to The Bat! as well? It's much easier
>> than trying to get everybody to change their behavior. That has never
>> worked and will never work.

> Exactly!!! That's why Nick's rant is so futile.

Even if we could mark threads Ignore, it would still be nice not to have
to download so many messages, most of which have little or nothing to do
with the list purposes (mea culpa, too, sometimes). I agree that you
can't stop the tendency to digress, but a reminder once in awhile helps
to curb the tendency and keep it from getting totally out of control.

> It's like cursing the sun for being hot and demanding that it stop
> doing so (sounds ridiculous but I can't think of a better analogy).
> Get a sunscreen ...... In the same way I delete threads and messages
> and this is why newsreaders are designed the way that they are. :))

Yes, but TB is not a news reader. You want it to act like a news reader,
but do you know another mailer that does that does also have news
reading capabilities? I'm leery of adding these news-reader-like
features before TB does and does well what a mailer should.

In the meantime, anyone can filter to Trash any thread by subject.

--
Paula Ford
The Bat! 1.38e (reg)