Hi John,

On  08 March 2000  at  08:23:37 GMT +0900 (which was 23:23 where I
live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote and made these points:

>>> Of  course,  you  could  always  load  Windows, then TB! and leave
>>> running 24/7/365, ad infinitum...

>> Sadly,  windoze  won't do that reliably :-(((. It needs a reboot at
>> least three times weekly to remain stable.

JDH> True of Win9x, but not of NT4 WS or Win2K Professional. The Bat! is also
JDH> very stable under NT in my experience.

Sadly  that  does  not  concur  with  my  experience of NT, which does
outlast  Win9x  in  the stay-alive stakes by a factor of 5-10 times. I
can't  vouch  for Win2k but the M$ track record does not bode well for
it.  I  could  give a history lesson of the genesis of WNT (VMS+1) and
how many bugs were added with each version but won't bore the members.

(The  above  is  very much the tongue-in-cheek of a die hard cynic and
should not necessarily be taken as any kind of professional opinion).

JDH> (I've got a Dell Inspiron 7000 running Win2K that is permanently
JDH> connected to the Internet by a wireless link, and it stays up all
JDH> day and night. Interestingly, the Inspiron 7000 is not even on
JDH> the approved hardware list for Win2K.)

Interesting.  I run a 3200 myself as my main workstation - but need 9x
on  it to run my music studio software and maintain compatibility with
my clients' workstations.

--
Cheers,
.\\arck

Marck D. Pearlstone, Consultant Software Engineer
Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA
www: http://www.silverstones.com
PGP key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=GET%20MARCKKEY>