Hi there!

On 15 Apr 00, at 16:44, Arno van Stralen wrote
    about "Re[2]: LinuxBat now!":

> Opera Software, I agree, has been a bit - how am I going to put this
> politically correct :-) - too enthousiatic when proclaiming version
> 4.0. However, Opera is the leading browser on CSS technology and has
> been that ever since CSS made it's appearance. It helped people
> working on low-power systems to surf the Web in a normal way.

Okay, my _own_ experience: AMD 5x86-133 CPU overclocked to 160 MHz,
16 Megs of RAM, Windows'95 OSR2 Russian (this is the system I had two
years ago). Netscape 4 worked just fine, Opera... well, it kinda worked;-)))

> speed is overwhelming when compared to IE and NS.

I cannot confirm this. Launching speed on slow systems -- yes, but only
_launching_ speed.

<Opera advertisement snipped>

> Opera 3.60 has hanged two times in one and a half year at my system.
> That extends the crashes of IE with thousands of percents.

Did you ever install it on _localized_ Windows system?;-)

> Alexander> , it GPFs (the ONLY triple GPF I've seen this month was Opera's),
>
> It does WHAT? :-)

Exactly what I have written;-)

> Alexander>some versions also leak terribly.
>
> Ah well, the spoiled-coffee spots on my desk are worse :-)

Memory leaks can be fatal for the systems with low resources, at which
systems you say Opera is aimed at.

> <quote>
>
> You've got a choice! If you haven't experienced our competitors' products,
> this may be the right time to do it. We believe that in order to appreciate
> the size and speed of Opera you need to see them first, but we warn you of
> extremely large file size, extensive download times, as well as hard disk and
> processor requirements. The rest we leave up to you to judge.
>
> <unquote>
>
> Have you seen that on microsoft.com of Netcenter?

Thanks to god, no. It's a good example of "comparative advertisement",
which's forbidden in Russia by our laws.

> There's nothing better than off-topic discussions :-)

I'd suggest returning to TB-related issues though;-)

--
SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---