Hello everyone,

finally I think I have thrown together a wish list big enough to put
it to discussion. I think I should add that I'm coming from an AMIGA
OS background - this may explain one or the other seemingly odd
idea. However, I have found ALL of the features suggested hereinafter
very useful in YAM (YetAnotherMailer), a freeware mailer on Amiga. If
you guys have the chance - check this one. It is unbeaten IMHO.

I have been using TB! for a while now and it might be I have missed
some of the features I would like to suggest - please indicate that to
me.

1. The editor
The problem has been discussed before so I only mention it as a matter
of showing an interest in changing the "free carret" behavior.

1-1. Autowrap
Doesn't work if the line is changed.
Example: I put wrap at 77 characters. I write my 78th char and it
wraps. I decide to write more in the line above and thus I push the
end of the line way beyond the 78th char. No wrapping occurs. This
would be no problem if all I would have to do to re-wrap is go to the
beginning of the next line below and press BACKSPACE.

2. HTML editor
Has anyone found such a thing in "TB!"? If so, does it enable the use
of MicroSloth's Global IME? That would kill two flies at once, I hope,
as M$ claim that their IMEs work in any HTML environment (I doubt
THAT, though).

3. Extremely important: Mailing List Support
This is a feature which allows the user to pre-define a default
address in the folder settings of an ML folder. Thus every mail he
or she opens while in that folder will have the ML's address in the
To: field by default.
Example: You wanna flame me for my insolent behavior? Here on this
list? All you would have to do is open the TBUDL folder, press "New"
or "Reply" or "Forward" (...) and there it would be: the address of
the list in the To: field, rather than _any_ other address.
Admittedly, if the mail has come from that list server in the first
place, the Reply_To: would contain that address already.
But it still makes sense for new mails and for copied/moved ones.

4. Sorting the ListView
I am missing a two-tiered sorting mechanism in TB!. Simply put, I
would like to define for each folder to
a) sort by subject
b) sort by time created
(as an example). This should possibly be done with any field.
It should stop the problem of reading the reply in a thread before the
question (and thus save the girls on this list a few early wrinkles).

4-1. Sorting subject problems
The follow up of subject sorting doesn't seem to work 100%. It
frequently happens that the first mail _ex_cluding the "Re:" prefix is
not the first in the sorted order. The sort routine should disregard
any RE:, AW: or whatever ppl use prefix.

5. PreView 1
The PreView feature could be greatly enhanced by
a) letting the user scroll it with CRSR UP/DN even though the
ListView is the active window part
b) thus using CRSR LEFT/RIGHT to skip messages
Might sound strange but works like a bee. It would also make the
blinking cursor in the PreView window superfluous (what is it good for
anyway?)

6. Preview 2
Related: Change the behavior of the DEL key.
a) Optional: Always allow deletion without confirmation.
b) Optional: Make the confirmation dependent on (insert number
selected by user here) mails to be deleted at once.

7. Forward/Reply of multiple msg
Merge them into one, attach all attachments in the forward mode to the
merged text file. Add up all the subjects into one and put it into the
subject field. Duplicate subjects should not be added in this line.
Probably a good idea to make it optional too.

8. Display Headers B4 D/L
I have referred to this one in an earlier mail.
It is nice to know what one is going to download. But it is even nicer
to simply go ahead and d/l it without being bothered.
The best solution: Make it optional, ie. mails larger than (insert
user-selected KB here) KB should be d/led only if confirmed. That
would d/l all the daily gibberish one receives in up to 6 or 7 K mails
w/o any notification.

9. Auto-complete
I have found it very hard to adjust to the Auto-Complete function of
the To: and CC: fields in the msg editor.
a) It should work without regard to captial letters.
b) It should include all fields in the address book entry that are
related to the name of the person. Ie: First, Middle, Last, Nick,
Displayed.
c) Does it work with the To: and Reply-To: fields as well? It should.

10. Cursor in MsgEditor
It would be nice if the cursor would automatically jump from the
Subject: field to the msg body when I press RETURN instead of
hilighting the Subject (what's the purpose of that?).

11. Dial
I guess the b19 has a bug in the Auto-DialUp setting. I have unchecked
it but sometimes it tries to connect anyway. Anyone?
Also: why using TB!'s own dialer? It seems an obsession on Windows
platforms that each programmer re-invents the weel (best example: each
webbrowser has its own image decoding routine....). Why not use the
MicroSloth or any other default dialer?
Also: the dialer sometimes hangs up w/o reason. (bug?)

12. Transfer window
The circle is buggy. It displays much more relative d/l quantity than
actually has occurred. Thus the circle is black even though there is
stuff left on the server.

13. Add Sender To AddressBook
Doesn't work in b19.

14. Account polling
It would be nice to be able to poll any and all accounts into one in
TB! instead of creating more than one at home.

15. Folders
On opening a folder, the cursor bar should immediately jump to the
next new/unread mail.

Phew.... :-)

That was it for this time. Please remember: this is NOT meant as
criticism in the sense of "TB! sucks" etc pp. I have found TB! the
_only_ Win mailer that can really call itself "mailer". Yet IMHO there
are many things to be done (and I am sure the ones listed above are
not the only ones).

One final remark: It would be nice if the community would be able to
take a glance at the authors' ToDo list.

So, keep it rough!
 Eberhard

Fine day to throw a party. Throw him as far as you can.

Created with TheBat! The only W98 mailer almost living up to the term...