On Tue, 02 May 2000 03:43:42 +0300, Cristian Secara wrote:

8<

> There are few lists where I usually read 10-20 messages, then close the
> message window and like to see where the cursor has stopped. Then I try
> to estimate how many messages on a given topic are left. Depending on
> that number, I eventually continue reading more messages (by opening
> them again in a separate window) or jump over in the list. I am speaking
> about heavily loaded mailing lists, where a long thread like "Re: TB!
> WishList" happens at least once a day :)

Have you thought of using the 'total' and 'total unread' columns in the
message list? It can easily tell you how many messages are in each thread
and how many messages in each thread are unread. You can therefore get the
exact information that you need instead of an estimate.

>>Finally, the sad fact that _you_ find no use for the separate message list
>>doesn't mean _others_ don't need it.

> Of course not.
> Let the user decide - make it selectable.

So you need a synchronize windows option. At times one wonders where to
draw the line between making the best of what you have, and insisting or
wanting the program to be honed to do exactly what one wants, especially
when all users needs and tastes are pretty different.

Trying to adapt to the different approach to PMMails, which I think is
certainly more flexible and powerful, is what I tentatively propose. :-)

I tentatively :-) propose that you try not to fight the features and
instead use that energy to learn to use them to your advantage. You're
bound to have a culture shock. This is natural; but the user list buffers
this and our proposing different methodologies considering that the tool
is different from the one you previously used is only natural.

> Probably, but a user interface is a sum of minor things, that makes my
> life easier or harder.
> Strange, I am somewhat an experienced FIDONET user and The Bat! follows
> in certain sense the FIDO message style. However, I cannot follow the
> logic here, in the context discussed up now.

I fail to see the the problem with the logic.

Do you still have a problem with the next and previous buttons or is the
failure of logic in the lack of synchronisation of the message lists
between the main window and the view folder windows?

--
© 2000 Allie Martin       /*\       Using TB! v1.42 Beta/20 on Win2k Pro
---