Tuesday, May 02, 2000, 10:18:20 AM, Allie wrote:
> TB!'s threading is useless to you for that single reason?! Especially
> since <del> deletes the message?

> <del> delete message

> <Shift><CNTRL><Del> Delete whole thread.

    Yes because Shift-CNTL-Del doesn't delete a single message.  You're
missing the point.  When I read in Mutt in threaded display to delete both
single messages and threads I use one key.  CNTL-D.  That's it.  I don't have
to decide "Oh, this is a single message, press D."  It is more "Nope, CNTL-D,
nope, CNTL-D, nope, CNTL-D, nope, CNTL-D."  Were those single messages or
threads?  Does it matter?  Let me put it this way:

    What is a single message but a thread with a single entry in it?  Why does
TB! /NOT/ operate on threads with only single messages in it.

> it's a thread (which I think is technically incorrect since it takes two
> or more messages to form a thread) and want to <fanfare here> delete the
> entire, complete, *thread* with <CTRL><SHIFT><Del>. I therefore beg to
> differ on that proposed piece of intuition. :-)

    You missed the point.  The point is the quick efficient deletion of
unwanted email.  In TB! I have to switch between the two shortcuts to do
effectively the same thing.  You're also incorrect that it takes two messages
to form a thread.  I am replying to your message.  It was in reply to mine.
However, I have already deleted mine.  It, however, is still a part of a
thread.  It has references and in-reply-to.  Just because I don't have the
other components doesn't mean TB! shout /not/ delete that message.

    Looking at it another way, what harm is there, exactly, in having "delete
thread" delete a single message?  Clearly the user wanted it deleted.  Clearly
there is no harm done since it would be deleted either way.

    You focused on the fact that DEL doesn't delete threads.  I was stating
that delete threads doesn't delete single messages which are, like it or not,
threads.

> !But hold on a minute! I noted that the keyboard shortcut you stated for
> deleting an entire thread is <CNTRL><DEL>. AFAIK, that's incorrect. With
> the correct shortcut <SHIFT><CTRL><Del>, you *can* delete single message
> *threads* 'intuitively! I just tried it.

    It is incorrect.  Hardly surprising considering my admittance that I don't
use it.  I just tried it again and it doesn't work still.  I don't know what
crack you're smoking but it must be good stuff for you to hallucinate like
that.  Make sure to bring some if you ever visit the states.  Mind the dogs at
the gate, though.