Wednesday, May 03, 2000, 12:34:10 PM, Eberhard wrote:
> IMHO it is no valid reason to deny this just bcs it would make TB!
> more similar to those other mailers. Not everything is bad that the
> majority likes, and not everything is cool just bcs it's different.

    And not everything the majority likes is good and not everthing that is
similar is cool.

    Point is that there exists a segment of the population that doesn't want
or need what is offered elsewhere and when they have a product that does
address their needs it isn't cool to come in and ask for that functionality to
be trashed to conform to what is offered, quite often, elsewhere.

    When it comes to MP/MDI apps off the top of my head:

Pegasus, Outlook Express, Eudora, Instinct, iScribe, Calypso, etc.

    Notice that the first three are the top email clients out there.  Netscape
is MDI and 1/2 MP.  They don't provide for separate SMTP server per account
and the accounts aren't really all that different.  So it can almost be
clumped with the above.  That would cover /all/ the popular email clients and
a good host of the alternatives as well.

    Now, let's compile the list of non-MDI, split-POP account clients:
The Bat!, PMMail

    That's it.  2.  One and two.  Two clients there are and the number of
clients shall be two.  Three is right out.  If one goes to three they have
passed the number of clients that don't use MDI and doesn't clump all mail
into a central location.  Four, being after three, is also not the count.
Five, too, is right out.

    So, with that said, coming to one of the few /real/ alternatives to the
host of clients that offer single-account, multi-pop and asking for just that
feature is going to get you a /LOT/ of resistance, especially by people who
need that feature.  Quite frankly, since there are quite a few popular clients
out there that implement it, use them.  You have 5 good ones to pick from,
have fun.  Ask /them/ to implement features, not ruin one of the few
alternatives.