On Mon, 08 May 2000 09:17:59 -0600, Douglas Hinds wrote:

> You mean that by clicking on the ticker, only those messages visible
> according to the ticker's settings (i.e. max age = 12 hr) will be
> visible using ctrl+ up or down arrow?

> Or by using alt+v+m (as you state below).

alt+v+m enables the message list for the virtual folder which is opened
when you view a message directly from the ticker.

> Having activated 4 folders on 2 accounts and followed the above
> instructions, I see messages from multiple folders within the same
> account, but nothing from the other. How many accounts do you use?

I use one mainly. I however, marked messages as unread across accounts,
enabled the ticker and they were all displayed together in the tickers
virtual folder.

See tiny attachment. I have three accounts, ie, Kasnet, Archives and C&W.
As you can see in the capture, messages from all three accounts are
displayed with the folder column indicating their actual locations.

> But the most grave result of running the ticker is that it slows my
> system down considerably. And on activating the ticker via shift+ctrl+t,
> there is a LONG wait during which TB! does NOTHING while it counts ALL
> unopened messages, not only in the TBUDLnew folder, but also all
> subdirectories, which are NOT selected for appearing on the ticker.
> Since I'm on line, this is a problem for me.

It's not TB! doing nothing. It's your old machine that is taking forever
to do it's thing. It's holding you back.

8<

> The main problem is the drag on the resources of this old system with 1
> mb of video ram (upgradable to 2mb total via purchase of a vesa card -
> if I can get it, and at what cost?) which slows it to a crawl.

> What I can do is switch off the ticker (which I just did, with a
> VERY noticeable reduction in the time taken to display what I type),

Oh dear. You definitely need to upgrade. TB! is not a particularly
demanding windows application. Your productivity, though not paralysed, is
definitely being impaired by your machine. :-(

--
Allie Martin
Using TB! v1.42c on Win2k Pro

Tag: "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. "