Hi

On Friday 29 June 2012 at 8:51:37 AM, in
<mid:919985856.20120629085...@gjctech.co.uk>, Geoff Lane wrote:

> FWIW, reliance on TB! is one of the things that prevent
> me from going completely over to Linux,

I've aspired to switching to Linux for at least a couple of years, and
been fiddling about with it from time to time since last summer but
still not taken the plunge.

> so it's good to
> read that one can run TB! successfully under WINE.

I think people have mentioned there are some minor issues but that on
the whole it runs successfully. I've not tried myself...

> To answer your question: In my case there are two
> reasons:- 1. I have a lot of time and effort invested
> in my sorting office    rules, templates, and address
> book and have no wish to duplicate    that effort.

I have quite a lot of sorting office rules, many of which are no
longer relevant so I should spend time going through it anyway.

My templates are modular, with heavy use of QTs so that
things only need updating in one place.

I make very little use of address book templates, so would expect to
be able to export my address books from TB! and import into something
else without too much hassle. A client that couldn't use multiple
address books and/or a feature like AB groups would be an issue for me.

> 2. I
> archive messages rather than just delete them,

I delete some and archive the rest via rules that move them into
"archive" folders in a password-protected TB! account.

> I'm not
> sure    whether the archive software I use (Mailbag
> Assistant from Fookes    Software) can run successfully
> under WINE,

Whether you take their word for it is up to you, but Fookes Software's
website at <http://www.fookes.com/mailbag/specifications.php> says:-

Mailbag Assistant has the following minimum requirements:

    Windows 98 / 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / NT4 / ME / XP / Vista / Windows
    7, or Mac OS / Linux in conjunction with Wine.

> and I don't want to risk    'losing the
> lot' if it seems to at first but later turns up a
> 'gotcha'!

Of course. (-;

--
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:expires2...@rocketmail.com

No matter where you go, there you are.

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600