Hi

On Saturday 30 June 2012 at 6:05:28 PM, in
<mid:57965611.20120630120...@jimkyle.com>, Jim Kyle wrote:

> Thursday, June 28, 2012, 3:27:23 PM, you wrote:

>> Are such mail clients really so poor as to merit
>> keeping a Windows client on a Linux machine?

> I've not tried any of them, but for some 4 years now
> I've been running a WinXP virtual machine on one Linux
> box for the specific purpose of staying with TB! while
> going to Linux as my primary system. It works quite
> well.

I guess once you set it up and forget about it, that's simple enough,
so long as your box has sufficient resources to run a virtual machine.
I love TB! as my email client, but I was thinking such measures seem
like overkill when there are native Linux mailers available. However,
I remembered that it took me well over a year of looking around when
time permitted and trying two or three mailers at a time, then
ditching those I didn't get on with and adding a replacement, before I
settled on The Bat! as my MUA in mid-2004. So I kind of get the point.

> I do have Thunderbird installed on a separate Linux
> box,

I've tried Thunderbird two or three times over the years, but never
kept with it for more than a couple of days. Somehow, I was never
comfortable with it. (-:

> and use it primarily for newsgroups

Yes, Newsgroups was always something TB! didn't do without some form
of Mail-to-News gateway. But it is a mail client not a news client.
And I use mailing lists much more than newsgroups - an occasional
visit to a web interface to read a newsgroup is not too painful.

> and
> occasionally for forwarding things to my primary Email
> account that feeds the TB! client. I find that to be
> simpler than trying to copy and paste things across my
> LAN -- it's possible, of course, but somewhat
> convoluted.

I'm not convinced it *really* is more convoluted to copy/paste across
your LAN than to run a Windows email client in a virtual machine on a
Linux box. (-;

--
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:expires2...@rocketmail.com

There is no snooze button for a cat that wants breakfast

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600