A Bat-fellow, Stuart Cuddy,
wrote in <mid:blu0-smtp1531032868412497f7ab672dd...@phx.gbl>
on Saturday, 15th September 2012 at 17:39:27 (GMT -0500),
which was Sunday, 0:39 a.m. in Bratislava --

>>> so not synchronising that folder halves the amount to download.

>> Yes, but this may be the issue: I can see no setting for The Bat's IMAP
>> folders where you could set a folder to "not synchronize".

> Right Click on the name of the account and select "Manage IMAP folders".

Many thanks, that's great! It's also under the top menu Account ->
IMAP Commands -> Manage IMAP folders. I somehow missed it there
despite browsing through the menus repeatedly, and never tried directly
right-clicking in the account tree, where the command is more visible
(un-nested). I still think including a "Stop synchronizing" checkbox
on the Folder Properties tab might also be a good idea. Sometimes you
may want to see an overview of all folders via "Manage IMAP folders"
(but it also takes time until that overview is downloaded from the server),
but at other times, when you simply wish to stop/pause synchronizing
a particular folder, it might be quicker just to right-click the folder
and tick a "Stop/Pause synchronizing" check-box.

Plus, as suggested before, besides the 3 currently available options,
an additional 4th option ("iPad-like") might really be useful:

* Headers only
* Headers and Textual Parts
* Entire messages
--- Apply choice to _____ most recent messages

The default might be all messages, but the user could input a number
like 500 or 1000. I just don't need to see hundreds of thousands of
email headers from previous decades on an SSD disk where empty
space is still at a premium, and displaying and browsing such gigantic
folders is probably just slowing down The Bat.

I'm now going to drastically cut down on the number of subscribed
folders to see if it makes any difference on the overall speed and
usability of the IMAP Bat.  :-)

--
Yours,
Alex. of Slovakia

[flying with The Bat! 4.2.44.2
under Windows 7 64-bit 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
AMD Athlon II X4 645 @ 3.10 GHz & 8 GB RAM]