A Bat-fellow, Thomas Fernandez,
wrote in <mid:1604267480.20120917212...@thomas-bkk.my-fqdn.de>
on Monday, 17th September 2012 at 21:29:11 (GMT +0700),
which was 16:29 in Bratislava --

> The POP3 protocol does not know "already downloaded"

It sure seems to know it when it comes to the interaction between the
POP3 Bat and Gmail.  :-o  Like Stuart suggested, maybe there is some
peculiarity causing this. For many years now, I have been leaving all
messages on the server, so it's not because any message is deleted on the server
before the second Bat gets a chance to download it. Nope, the message is there,
but the second POP3 Bat somehow detects it had already been downloaded by the
first POP3 Bat, and skips it. It worked both ways for me when I tested it: no
matter
if the desktop PC or the notebook PC happened to be the "first" or the "second"
POP3
Bat to download a message (while both Bats were set to leave messages on the
server).

As to the interaction between the POP3 Bat and IMAP smartphones,
there is no problem. (Apart from the inconvenience of messages already-read
on the smartphone appearing as unread when downloaded by the POP3 Bat,
the lost mark-up of messages flagged on the smartphone, etc.)

Well, for now I have switched to the IMAP Bat on the notebook,
while keeping the POP3 Bat on my main computer, and the weeks
and months to come will --  if nothing else -- give me the opportunity
to observe and compare how The Bat behaves in both environments.

--
Yours,
Alex. of Slovakia

[flying with The Bat! 4.2.44.2
under Windows 7 64-bit 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
AMD Athlon II X4 645 @ 3.10 GHz & 8 GB RAM]