Hello Leonard,

First  of,  I  do  not  know  wether  your problem with the Root Certificate has
anything to do with the following, but:

Friday, October 26, 2012, 10:23:59 AM, you wrote:

>> In one case the computer battery was flat so that the date was ancient
>> creating this problem.

LSB> My computer is a desktop computer. No battery.

It's  not clear to me wether you wanted to say that your desktop computer is not
a  battery  [which  is probably a correct statement :-)] or wether you wanted to
say  that  there is no battery in a desktop computer [which is possible but only
if the battery has been removed or (unlikely) was never put where it belongs].

In  other words, if the cell battery is "flat", there is no way for the computer
to remember the actual date and it falls back to the original date of the BIOS.

http://pctechnotes.com/how-to-change-your-cmos-battery/

--
Best Wishes,
Mark