Hallo Peter,

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000 19:05:04 +0200 GMT (08/06/2000, 01:05 +0800 GMT),
Peter Steiner wrote:

>> Last time *I* checked (about half a minute ago), it still had the
>> extension .lng and was a text file. ;-)

PS> How did you check, Thomas?

Clicked on the file from the WinCommander. *.lng is associated with
Notepad on my machine, because I was trying to persuade some Chinese
people to help me with a translation some time ago. The file that
comes with the installation is too big for Notepad, so it opens in
Wordpad. Everything looks readable, but I have to admit that Wordpad
is not our basic ASCII text editor.

So I now went back to good ole' DOS and opened the file with EDIT now.

PS> Mine has plenty of ASCII characters below 32, meaning nonprintable
PS> characters. Perhaps your tool just overlooked these characters,
PS> with mainly ordinary printable characters remaining?

Oops, you are right. I guess there is some formating info. You can
probably still manipulate the actual words.

PS> Thomas, doesn't your .lng file start with FBPRPBP?

It does. I don't know how TB! uses this file. It's like a .dat file:
data are fetched from this file by the main program in the sequence
they are needed. The initial sequence of ASCII characters may be some
kind of instruction or format info. Doesn't change the fact that you
can overwrite words. We had quite some fun doing this with the error
messages on the Norsk Data mainframe at school, drove our teacher
crazy. ;-)

The .lng itself does not disclose how the application uses this data.
It just contains the raw data in ASCII code in a pretty legible way,
IMHO. Anyway, as Stan has pointed out, we will be equipped with a
compiler by the end of this month, so we don't need to worry about the
format any more.

--

Cheers,
Thomas                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.44
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM