TF> Oops, you are right. I guess there is some formating info. You can
TF> probably still manipulate the actual words.

May be quite a bit more than formatting info.

TF> It does. I don't know how TB! uses this file. It's like a .dat file:
TF> data are fetched from this file by the main program in the sequence
TF> they are needed.

Perhaps, perhaps it's indexed directly.

In other words,

TF> The initial sequence of ASCII characters may be some kind of
TF> instruction or format info. Doesn't change the fact that you can
TF> overwrite words.

You can overwrite words and it may or may not work (who's to say if
there's checksumming information to check for a corrupted file?).  May
also be that you can fully edit the strings, but likely the strings
are in specific places in the file that the executable depends on.

TF> The .lng itself does not disclose how the application uses this data.
TF> It just contains the raw data in ASCII code in a pretty legible way,
TF> IMHO.

The raw ASCII that is legible is likely used in a straight-forward
way, but what about all the rest of the file?

-tom!

--
Hopin' this said *something* useful, [EMAIL PROTECTED] out.