On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:03:18 +0100, Alastair Scott wrote:

<snip>

AS> 6. An interesting discovery: I have a personal firewall, ZoneLabs'
AS> ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com), installed on the Win2K machine. On the
AS> second and subsequent attempts by The Bat! to read any of the three
AS> POP3 servers ZoneAlarm catches attempts by them to access
AS> 'non-standard' ports (generally in the 1030 to 1060 range), raising
AS> an alert. There are no such alerts following the first attempt by
AS> The Bat! or with Outlook Express or AK-Mail.

        I was about to ask you this and you volunteered it. ZoneAlarm is
the culprit here. I wrote to the ZoneAlarm developers and this was their
response:

        We are looking into resolving the problem with blocking access
        to mail servers, others have reported it too.

        A solution for now is to add the mail server to your trusted
        Local Zone.

        - Enter the security panel
        - Click on the advanced button.
        - Select add
        - Select host/Site
        - Enter the mail server name
        - Click next, confirm the entry
        - Click OK
        - Click OK

        Then you should no longer have a problem accessing the email
        server.

        I hope this helps.

The above instructions do solve the problem and I hope this helps. :-)
Most who have reported this problem have indeed been using ZoneAlarm.
Another work around is to use a local POP server. XRay is a nice one.

--
Allie Martin            [ TB! v1.45 Beta/4 | Win2k Pro ]
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=GetAlliePGPKey