Allie wrote:

AM> The above instructions do solve the problem and I hope this helps. :-)
AM> Most who have reported this problem have indeed been using ZoneAlarm.
AM> Another work around is to use a local POP server. XRay is a nice one.

It does - I can now use the three POP3 and SMTP servers ad lib. Many thanks!

(One mild warning is that, when you enter the POP3/SMTP server details into
ZoneAlarm, you have to be connected to the Internet first. ZA resolves the
IP address of the server immediately so, if you aren't online, it complains
with a rather obscure error message ...)

Alastair