Hello Thomas Fernandez,
On Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:04:23 +0800 GMT your local time,
which was Saturday, October 07, 2000, 9:04:23 AM (GMT+0700) my local time,
Thomas Fernandez wrote:

> Hi John,

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:12:41 +0100GMT (07/10/2000, 04:12 +0800GMT),
> John Sullivan wrote:

JS>> I'll also point out that the above generalisation does not always
JS>> hold. "Resource" is a very wide term with multiple
JS>> interpretations.

> Not according to what I was taught.

JS>> As is "operating system".

> Again I was taught something different.

JS>> If the resource in question was your bank balance for example, you
JS>> wouldn't expect the bank's computers to apply interest/enter
JS>> transactions directly in the OS kernel. (At least I hope not!)
JS>> That's in no way an analogy, it's a real example.

> The resource is the bank account (not the bank balance), and this is a
> database, i.e. a file on disk. I wouldn't want anything *but* the OS's
> I/O subsystem to touch it. The OS (and thus, in this case, it's I/O
> subsystem) provides services to applications. No application is
> allowed to do that by itself. Resource sharing is not an easy task
> which involves scheduling, semaphores, signalling and all kinds of
> things I will have to re-read this weekend for the exam next week.
> :-(

JS>> I've not yet run it in a low-disk situation. I *hope* it would be
JS>> intelligent enough not to download and delete all my mail off the
JS>> server, then drop it into a black hole because there was no space left
JS>> locally.

> Agree. ;-)

same here but I seem to remember original post was saying it was
running windows 98, not NT and there is a world of difference between
NT and 98 or 2000 with regards to management of resources.
Or like one of the MS developers told me one time, windows doesnt leak
on its own but once you add programs to it.....
Anyway, whatever the reason maybe the bat should require a minimum
amount of resources free and if it hasnt got them, shut down and tell
user.

Best regards,

tracer

--

Using theBAT 1.47 Beta/5 with Windows NT
mail to : [EMAIL PROTECTED]