Hallo Thomas,

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:04:23 +0800 GMT (07/10/2000, 10:04 +0800 GMT),
I wrote:

JS>> I'll also point out that the above generalisation does not always
JS>> hold. "Resource" is a very wide term with multiple
JS>> interpretations.

TF> Not according to what I was taught.

Which is:

"A system resource is anything that is needed by a process for its
computation to progress; in addition, the resource might be changed as
the computation proceeds. Examples of physical resources include the
processor, I/O devices, and memory. Examples of logical resources
include files, variables, and virtual devices."

Therefore, the file (bank account in your example) is a resource, the
record (account balance) is not.

JS>> As is "operating system".

TF> Again I was taught something different.

This is what the book says:

"1.2 What is an Operating System?

[...] An operating system, broadly defined, manages a computer system's
hardware, the application program, the data and any communication with
the user or the outside world, all in accordance with the policies
chosen by the operating system's designer. In other words, an operating
system controls the resources of a computer system and the
communications between elements of the computing system. [...]"

I will not write down the whole section 1.2, but you do get an idea
what the job of an operating system is, as opposed to an application
program like TB. Each member of the MS-Windows family is an operating
system, so are the unix variants. A kernel is part of an operating
system, but some computer systems might have only a kernel, which will
function as a "light-weight" OS.

No way will an application be allowed to fiddle around on the
harddisk. It will call a service of the OS, called an interrupt, and
ask the OS to handle disk I/O (reading/writing). Same with the memory
management: an app will request memory space from the memory manager
(part of the OS), and that one will decide what to do: swap, assign,
fragment, whatever, or say "no free memory available". As you pointed
out correctly, the error message from the OS to TB must be handled in
such a way that TB will report this error; right now it seems TB is
surprised, violates access (i.e. attempts to write to a sector of the
memory that is assigned otherwise), or simply loses the data. This, I
agree, must be dealt with, and this is a job for our two developers.
;-)

I think we should continue any discussions about OS's and resources on
TBOT.

--

Cheers,
Thomas                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.46d
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM