On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 11:14:13 -0500, Jan Rifkinson wrote these
words of wisdom:

JR> The test filter rule I constructed is:
JR> string = ^[^JjAaNn]   location = kludges   present = no

JR> The regexp was meant to express:
JR> At the beginning of the string
JR> If not J (or) j followed by A (or) a followed by N (or) n
JR> is found in the kludges
JR> then send to "test" folder

JR> What's the matter with this simple regexp? TIA

^[^JjAaNn]

Well, you've only denoted a character class and the initial '^'
restricts the regex to matching only strings that start a new line in
the Kludges.

>From what you said above, it would seem that you want all messages that
do not have 'Jan' (case insensitive) in the Kludges moved to the test
folder. I assume you wouldn't want the expression to cover string
matches like:

Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ^^^
Januk Aggarwal
^^^

"Michael S. Greenbaum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                             ^^^
              ^^^

By default filter associated regex's are case insensitive but an
expression that should work is (?i)\bjan\b|jan@\S*

It will however catch messages with a January date:

   ^^^
To prevent this one could add:

(?!)(?<!\d\d\s)jan(?!\s\d{4})|jan@\S*

--
A. Curtis Martin             [TBUDL/TBBETA List Moderator]
PGP Key:<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey>