On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 08:38:35 -0800, Ming-Li contributed this
to our collective wisdom:

[....]

ML> Or let me put it this way: I'm thankful for the existence of default
ML> column settings, for it allows me to adjust column arrangement and
ML> the adjustment is made to all like folders. OTOH, when I change
ML> threading mode, I don't want other folders' threading mode to be
ML> changed.

ML> It shouldn't be hard to change the behavior, either.

It doesn't seem so straightforward to me, unless the business of
assigning each view their own column settings is avoided.

If I thread messages, I set my columns differently from if I don't
thread. I also set the columns differently when threading by references
as opposed to threading by subject. I appreciate being able to toggle
these views in one view folder and see that the columns are
appropriately adjusted for each view as I want it. I actually love this
facility.

Now, if I change from no threading to threading by references in one of
my default folders and expect that the other folders columns will not
change as well, how can the default folder implementation remain the way
it is and yet the functionality of being able to configure column
settings for each sorting method, on a per folder basis remain intact
without things remaining the way they are now?

ML> TB already remembers the treading mode and column settings on a
ML> folder by folder basis (unless those using the default column
ML> settings).

It also remembers the columns settings for each major sorting method on
a per folder basis.

ML> It shouldn't be hard to change the behavior, either.  So the folder
ML> structure database should look something like:

[....]

ML> Now, I feel it's better if it's like this:

ML> Folder id            threading       column settings

ML> A                    1               .......
ML> B                    2               .......
ML> C                    3               .......
ML> D                    1               [default]
ML> E                    2               [default]
ML> [Default]            N/A               .......

ML> So D and E can have their respective threading mode, but use the
ML> same column settings.

I don't think you're realising that each sorting mode is assigned its
own column settings and that this is very useful. This is what is
complicating matters. I don't want my columns to be the same for thread
view as opposed to non-threaded view. I even prefer a different column
setting for threading by references as opposed to threading by subject.
If I decide to change to sorting view for a folder, the columns would
need to be changed as well and if this a default folder then whammo!,
the conflict arises.

For me, my default folders are TRUE defaults. If I wish to change the
sorting view, I wish it to be done for all the folders. If I wish the
columns to be changed, I wish it for all the folders. IOW's, all the
default folders should look exactly alike at all times.

If there's an exception to that rule, I can always go back and change
the odd one out manually after the grand change has been made.

- --
 |     A. Curtis Martin  [List Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA]      |
 | PGPKey: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey |
@_@   (Opinions given are mine and not those of RITLABS)   @_@

'Tact: making a point without making an enemy.'
TB! v1.48f | Windows NT 5.00.2195 (Service Pack 1)