I thought I'd comment on Kevin's contribution to the list,
sent on Mon, 1 Jan 2001 21:38:36 +0000:

K> I always thought it was 4 lines.

Upon rechecking the RFC's (RFC 1855), you're right on this. I was mixing
it up with an on-line netiquette guideline.

Here's an excerpt that covers most of what we commonly request here:

    - Be brief without being overly terse.  When replying to a message,
      include enough original material to be understood but no more. It
      is extremely bad form to simply reply to a message by including
      all the previous message: edit out all the irrelevant material.

    - Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
      with a carriage return.

    - Mail should have a subject heading which reflects
      the content of the message.

    - If you include a signature keep it short.  Rule of thumb
      is no longer than 4 lines.  Remember that many people pay for
      connectivity by the minute, and the longer your message is,
      the more they pay.

For the pedantic, we explicitly request that those who post for help
include in their signatures information about their TB! version and what
OS they're running, so the line/s used to convey this aren't counted.
;=)

K> I hope this happens but many of those with long sigs do tend to get
K> extremely offended when asked to chop their sigs to a more reasonable
K> length.

Well, it's all about courtesy and maintaining the peace. Many with long
signatures don't realize that it can be offending or annoying to others.
This is what the list rules on posting style and conduct serve to
address. It's just as necessary to enforce such guidelines as it is to
enforce road traffic laws or rules of conduct in any social setting.

If anyone is offended when such a request is made of them, then so be
it. We will not condone breaches of the list rules of conduct. There's
no reason to accept such behaviour and many reasons not to.

- --
 |     A. Curtis Martin  [List Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA]      |
 | PGPKey: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey |
@_@   (Opinions given are mine and not those of RITLABS)   @_@
TB! v1.49 Beta/1 | Windows NT 5.00.2195 (Service Pack 1)