On 05-01-2001 at 04:34, Thomas Fernandez kindly wrote:
> Januk Aggarwal wrote:
>> Me:

>>> I tried what would happen if User A (on computer A) the
>>> has the general address book open, while user B (on a
>>> networked computer B, using the same copy of TB) opens the
>>> address book too and adds and entry. User A won't see that
>>> new address and can make his own changes. However, when he
>>> restarts TB, he *will* see the changes made by User B, while
>>> his own mutations are there too. Quite nifty.

JA>> That is very interesting.  Thanks for all your input.

> This is a general problem for all files accessable for read-write to
> more than one user on any network.

Indeed...

> The solution is called "atomicity", one transaction (say,
> update) has to be completed before the next one (updating
> the same) can be started.

Or "lock file".

> It is not a TB specific problem.

Nope, but TB apparently managed it nicely. *Both* updates
were processed, although I haven't checked what happened if
two users wiuld change the same address entry.

- K -

--

When I get my hands on some money, I'll kiss it's green skin
And I'll ask it's dirty face: "where the hell have you been?"