Hello Jan & others on TBUDL following this thread,

Monday, January 08, 2001,  you stated regarding :

JR>   I don't understand how you use TB!.

For email.

JR> Of course this is none of my biz but "while thousands of
JR> messages in outboxes (saved drafts), sent and trash folders are
JR> counted" only involves 3 folders which is easily manageable.

In 17 accounts. One account alone has 101 folders and the next one
down has 45. Some have much fewer.

JR>   And I don't understand, are you operating an eMail server vs
JR>   TB! for personal use?

TB! IS an email server, but I don't use it that way.

JR> I thought I had a lot of traffic but gee whiz....

The word is golly gee! The traffic is not really not that much.
maybe 200-300 a day. TBUDL is the largest list. But I have to
subscribe to some lists that I rarely read the mail from, so I can
post to them when needed (they're related to what I do, which you
already asked about, w/o answering my asking the same of you, as I
recall).

JR> Are you building an archive?

The archive is building itself as a result of what I use the
computer for: Communication & research, mainly.

JR> Do you delete or compress at all?

I delete some but unless a message is clearly spam (which does come
though on this account and the acnet.net accounts that blocked me
out for months and caused me to open a number of new ones, many of
which proved reliable), but otherwise, I can't delete what I haven't
read, all I can do is save it.

I don't compress because compression can cause data loss and the
algorithms are proprietary, so that something saved using one tape
drive (for instance), can't be recovered using the same tape on
another maker's drive unless it's NOT compressed. And as I
understood it, compression occurs when closing TB! (which I rarely
do), only to expand again on reopening it. I say that because when I
close TB! it goes through it's compression routine on the few
folders I have that option set for in properties

However, maybe compression in Moldovian (& therefore TBUDLian) means
something entirely different. Language means no more than the way
you use it (although that sounds like something out of Alice in
Wonderland).

Douglas