Hallo Ming-Li,

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:56:10 -0800 GMT (17/01/2001, 00:56 +0800 GMT),
Ming-Li wrote:

Ming-Li> When it comes to posting, I don't know about you, but I'll be in
Ming-Li> trouble. Where should I post? Is this too advanced (tech-oriented)
Ming-Li> or not? Should TBUDL no longer discuss anything about RegEx? Or
Ming-Li> Windows registry? Suddenly the lines between OT/non-OT and
Ming-Li> beta/non-beta couldn't be clearer.

If there will be a confusion in the beginning, I think it will sort
itself out. Very much like threads are being moved over to TBOT when
the members feel it's getting OT, I believe we will develop a "feel"
for whne it becomes too techie. Don't worry too much; the split of the
German group into "general" and "beginners" is starting to be a
success after only one day! Many newbies have expressed their
gratitute on the list.

Ming-Li> The tipping point where one stops following a thread, however, has
Ming-Li> to differ from one reader to another. To some, RegEx itself is a
Ming-Li> techie topic; to others (Marck and Januk sprint to mind), not even a
Ming-Li> multi-line RegEx appears daunting.

There will always be a grey area. I trust the moderators enough to
step in when it becomes "too techie" (whatever that means) on TBUDL.

Ming-Li> With the system we have, everything is presented and it's up to the
Ming-Li> reader to decide which one to read. It would be great if TB
Ming-Li> facilitates something like the "ignore this thread" function seen in
Ming-Li> many newsreaders.

That is a good suggestion, regardless of the upcoming TBTECH list.

Ming-Li> With the proposed split, the decision would have to be made at the
Ming-Li> time of posting. Again, I don't know about you, but it won't be easy
Ming-Li> for me.

Follow your gut feeling. Nobody will stone you. ;-)

TBUDL and TBTECH will have their own cultures. Time will tell where
the boundary is. And it will always be a grey area. The point is to
allow new users to not have to download all threads if they don't wish
to.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.49c
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM